Bardwell Valley is located approximately 12 kilometres south of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of the Bayside Council and is part of the St George area.
Bardwell Valley is a primarily residential area. Some beautiful sandstone cottages from the early 20th century still stand in East Street and The Glen Road. Bardwell Creek runs through the middle of the valley and empties into Wolli Creek.
Prior to European settlement, Bardwell Valley was a significant part of the lands of the Cadigal people. Bardwell Valley was originally the name used to describe the land beside Bardwell Creek in the suburb of Bardwell Park. The suburb was formed in 1996 from parts of Arncliffe that bordered the valley and creek.
Bardwell Park was named after free settler Thomas Hill Bardwell who owned land in this area. Thomas Hill Bardwell was a wealthy pastoralist from southern New South Wales who bought the land in December 1853.
After much development had taken place in the Arncliffe and Bardwell Park areas during the early 1900s, Bardwell Valley was the last remaining area with any significant cover of natural vegetation. As early as 1945, it had been suggested that the area would be the ideal location for a golf course.
The City of Rockdale established an olive grove in Silver Jubilee Park, Commemorating the contribution of the Australian Greek community in the development of the City of Rockdale.